Better Buildings Challenge
As a Better Buildings Challenge Partner, FirstService Energy has committed to reducing energy use across the FirstService Residential portfolio by 20 percent in 10 years. As part of this commitment, FirstService Energy has pledged to demonstrate national leadership in energy efficiency by:
- Conducting an energy efficiency assessment of our building portfolio and pledging an energy savings goal
- Executing a plan to achieve lasting energy savings
- Reporting the results by sharing cost-cutting approaches and sharing data that demonstrates success
As an Energy Star Partner, FirstService Energy has committed to measure, track, and benchmark energy performance across the FirstService Residential portfolio. A joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy, ENERGY STAR Partners have committed to developing and carrying out a plan to:
- Reduce energy consumption
- Improve energy efficiency
- Reduce pollution
Investor Confidence Project Certified Developer
As an Investor Confidence Project Certified Developer, FirstService Energy recognizes the need for standardization of energy efficiency projects – from developing the baseline to measurement and verification – which will help facilitate an increased flow of institutional funds to finance future energy efficiency projects. The Investor Confidence Project is enabling a marketplace for building owners, project developers, finance and energy service providers, insurers, utilities, and a growing number of public programs and utilities to trade in standardized energy efficiency projects.
FirstService Energy is a member of Mission:data which advocates for customer-friendly data access policies throughout the country in order to deliver benefits for consumers and enable an innovative, vibrant market for energy management services. The Mission:data coalition and members are guided by these principles:
- All consumers should have easy access to the best available information about their energy use (including both “backhaul” information through the utility website and real-time information directly from smart meters) and the ability to easily share that data with energy management service providers of their choice
- Energy consumption and pricing information should be provided in the best available format to support innovative new services (including machine-readable formats that are consistent nationwide and consistent with the best industry standards)
NYSERDA Multifamily Performance Partner
As a New York State Energy Research and Development Authority Multifamily Performance Partner (NYSERDA MPP), FirstService Energy has committed to helping multifamily properties develop comprehensive whole building retrofits that will result in energy efficiency improvements of 15% or greater in New York. The NYSERDA MPP program is the flagship energy efficiency program for multifamily buildings in New York State. Among the benefits FirstService Energy can provide are:
- A no-cost energy benchmarking survey
- Incentives of $300-650/unit to offset the cost of implementing energy efficiency measures
- Subsidized energy efficiency financing to pay for the project
NYC Carbon Challenge
The NYC Carbon Challenge is an initiative that helps organizations support the city’s long-term sustainability agenda, PlaNYC, which aims to reduce emissions by 80 percent below 2005 levels by 2050. Through the Challenge, multifamily buildings, universities, hospitals, and commercial offices commit to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by 15 to 30% over the next ten years.
More than 80 properties managed by FirstService Residential, comprising a total of more than 17 million square feet, have accepted this challenge – the largest participation by any residential property management company in New York City. Click here for a copy of the NYC Carbon Challenge Handbook for Co-ops and Condos.
NJ Clean Energy Pay for Performance Partner
As a NJ Clean Energy P4P Partner, FirstService Energy has committed to helping multifamily properties develop comprehensive whole building retrofits that will result in energy efficiency improvements of 15% or greater in New Jersey. This is the flagship energy efficiency program for multifamily buildings in New Jersey. Among the benefits FirstService Energy can provide are:
- Incentives up to $50k to pay for the energy reduction plan
- Incentives up to 25% of the total cost of implementing the measures in the energy reduction plan
- Incentives up to 25% of the total cost of the project implementation for verifying that implemented measures are achieving the modeled savings
NYC Retrofit Accelerator
As a NYC Retrofit Accelerator Partner, FirstService Residential has committed to developing holistic energy efficiency capital plans that will cut energy use by 40-60% in three pilot properties, reducing costs and improving comfort for residents. We also provide our properties with access to free building walk-throughs and assessments in addition to offering education on energy efficiency and measures available to each building for improvement.